“Gifted students are those who do things a little earlier, a little faster, a little better and probably a little differently than most other students” Ginsberg, G.
At OLOR we use a matrix of identification methods.
- Formal psychologist’s report stating IQ falls in the Gifted range
- Off level testing/Above Stage testing
- Teacher identification – data collection
- Standardised testing e.g. PAT Mathematics – results in high stanines
- Results from competitions
- Checklist of gifted student characteristics
- Parent identification
The primary means of educational enrichment that is used at OLOR is within classroom higher level thinking, open-ended questioning, “real life” problems, critical thinking and creative thinking programs. In this way students can continue to gain from social engagement with their peers.
- Maths Olympiad
- Public Speaking
- ‘Lighthouse’ Learning – an online learning extension program
- Year 6 Leadership
- External competitions